Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Thriftstore Obsession

I don't know about you, but every time I go into a Goodwill or our local thrift stores, there are always a few certain items that my eye always gravitates towards.  Some favorites I act on, some I don't.  The "don'ts" are things like punch bowl and cup sets (so pretty but when would I ever use that??), steals of a deal mirrors (I have plenty already!), and old baskets (I don't even really like baskets, but it's fun to look at the menagerie that these stores always stock).


However, the obsession I have been known to act on is this: old cut glass containers posing as fancy crystal.  There are always plenty of these items in thrift stores - discards from families who have probably had tons of these things for years, collecting dust.  But if you can think of a purpose these could serve in your house, then they are a great find.

I would say my style is fairly modern and simple - not a lot of frills. But when I see these little things, I am totally drawn to the patterns and shapes in the glass and can't resist.  Also, they are usually $1, so why not.


Here are a few of my finds from the past few years.


This is my favorite.  I think maybe it used to be an ashtray.  It's bubbled on the bottom and smooth on the inside.  It's perfect as a catchall for my jewelry when I don't feel like putting it away in the evening.



These little guys serve a purpose by corralling our bathroom accessories. 



This on is actually serving it's original purpose as a sugar Splenda bowl for my morning coffee.

I'm really excited about this beauty.  It was a splurge - $3.  It's pretty big and right now I have no idea what to do with it.  I just couldn't say no to the beautiful starburst patterns and notched-out grip on top.

So how about you?  Any thrifty finds you just can't leave in the store?

2 comments:

  1. I am ALWAYS searching for old glass milk jars!! I love them, and not really sure why? It's crazy how many I've actually found. I use them as watering cans, vases, and decanters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen the ashtray one or the one with the starburst pattern. Have you been hiding these items from me?>

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...