Monday, January 16, 2012

Words

Since it's Martin Luther King Day (and I get a very early-on day off from school!) I felt obliged to post this.  I'm student teaching in a social studies class, so we watched part of a video on his life last week.  We talk a lot about MLK here in Georgia, and rightfully so.  I've seen this speech a hundred times, as I'm sure you have as well, but it had been a while.  My pregnant self was tearing up in the back of the room.  His words are so powerful and since they have become so popularized, it's easy to brush them off and forget to look at what he is truly saying.  It's too easy to confine his message to the past and not apply it to today.  


In reading something for my Georgia History class, I came across this quote from Abraham Lincoln from the beginnings of the Civil War that I've also heard before, but hit me in a new way this time:  "In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free..."



Lots of inspiring words to live by.

1 comment:

  1. He's certainly still an inspiration. At Thanksgiving, we had the awesome opportunity to visit the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis where MLK, Jr. was killed. It's amazing. The stories and video really got to me. Quite a man.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...