Monday, December 9, 2013

Dare to Give Handmade - A Baby's First Christmas Block Ornament



I love making homemade gifts for friends and family, although I hate to say I don't do it often enough.  My sisters and I have started the tradition of doing small, under $10 homemade gifts for each other, which I love.  I have some crafty sisters! (proof here  and my attempts here and here and here)

But for this post, I wanted to share an ornament I made for my friend who recently had a baby.  My old college roommates and I started our own tradition of giving each other ornaments for Christmas.  I think we were supposed to alternate who gave, but I lost track somewhere so I just send one to each of them.  Hopefully Gina isn't reading now - and if so - this will be on it's way to your house soon!



I've seen lots of Baby's First Christmas ornaments, sold and made, so this really isn't something new, but it's a little nod to her new baby B.  I sacrificed one of Harper's blocks (poor thing, in like 3 years she will be lining up her blocks and be so mad the B is missing...), choosing the B for her babe's first name.

I Tony drilled a hole through the block for the string.  

I wanted to cover the sides that were irrelevant with text and a photo of the baby.  The words were engraved into the wood, so I filled the indentations with a little spackle to get it flush.

I then printed out my text and photo on matte photo paper and Mod Podge'd them on.  The font is Santa's Sleigh.



Voila!  I think it turned out pretty cute, and it was very easy.  I hope she likes it!

Check out Decor and the Dog for this week's Dare to Give Homemade posts!

Dare to do-it-yourself button 2013

Linking up with: Decor and the DogMaybe MatildaNewlywoodwards and Primitive and Proper!

8 comments:

  1. Love it!!! Great idea :)
    www.davenportdiy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this so much! Personal, and honestly, much cuter and way more personal than the store bought first christmas ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I'm sure the missing B won't affect her alphabet song at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable! I love that you added the photo. Such a great addition for the first Christmas ornament. (And what a Cutie.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable! what a great idea, and of course the baby photo steals the show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!I need an ornament for my baby...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I have a new nephew I may have to do this for.....although I doubt I can get my act together in time for Christmas. Eeeek.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...