Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mini Thrift Store Makeovers

I've found an abundance of paint-able junk at my favorite thrift store lately.  Here are my mini transformations:


This discotastic skull was only $2!  I was so excited to find it!  It needed a little mirror rearranging (I unstuck ones from the bottom and filled in the gaps on top), and a little silver paint - good as new!  The eyes even flash.  Again, it creeps Tony out.






$3 brass crab, now silver:


This was my first usage of the metallic silver paint - and I love it!  Can't wait to turn more things into silver! 





The crab also opens for a little secret compartment.  How fun is that?  I could totally keep one very tiny, minimally useful thing in there.




Another $3 heavy brass creation, now a lovely white.
  


This now sits in our living room, bringing a dash of sealife to the space.  




I've been scouring the globe for a tray for our ottoman.  Nowhere to be found.  Isn't that always the case - when you don't need something, you see it everywhere, and then when you are really looking, it disappears??

Well it didn't matter - I found this tray for $1.  And while I do want our house to be blessed, not sure I want to advertise it quite this way.  So now it's a lovely Almond.  Perhaps I will get ambitious and adorn it.  Perhaps not.





Ok, this needed no makeover, it was just a pretty vase.  It was $1.50, and it's very thick, quality glass.  You can't even buy a vase this size at Walmart for that price.  The stamp on the bottom says it's made by E.O. Brody.  Sadly, not a famous long-lost piece worthy of Antiques Roadshow, but still fairly old and made in good old Ohio.  Not bad.  




I love thrift store finds!  My imagination goes crazy walking the aisles, just imagining what a little paint can do...  

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE the skull! How great is that, and so appropriate for this time of year!

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a starfish very similar to that one and paid over $10 for it. JEALOUS!! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so inspiring Claire.

    Have I mentioned that I wish we were 'neighbors'?:)

    I didn't have time to do the projects over the weekend, but tonight, or tomorrow night, *for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute blog... and great pics! Good ideas about the silver paint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't thrift stores the bomb? You found some great stuff there. That skull is terrifying, the crab adorable, and you did a good deed giving that tray a new look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been such a bad commentor, but 1)CONGRATS on the writing gig 2) LOVE the pic of your hubs walking 4 dogs and 3) These all look fabulous - you have an eye Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you, scoring the goods! My goodwill only has ugly canister sets, wicker wine caddies and target brand adult diapers. for reals. Which one can a can of spray paint fix?

    adore tiny useless crab btw

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...